NORDUnet operates a global IP and MPLS backbone network that interconnects the research and education networks in the Nordic countries to the rest of the world.
The IP network is dual stack IPv4 & IPv6.
To secure the best possible commodity internet service for the Nordic research and educational networks NORDUnet A/S operates a global IP network and is currently present at the following Internet eXchange points:
- AMS-IX in Amsterdam
- DE-CIX in Frankfurt
- DIX in Copenhagen
- Equinix in Ashburn (Washington D.C.)
- Equinix in Chicago (IL)
- Equinix in Palo Alto (CA)
- LINX in London
- NETNOD in Stockholm
- NIX in Oslo
- NOTA in Miami
- NYIIX in New York
- RIX in Reykjavik
see more info about NORDUnet (AS2603) in https://www.peeringdb.com/
Peering requests should be sent to email@example.com.
The NORDUnet backbone supports the use of DiffServ and will not touch codepoints used by DiffServ. However, no active measures are taken to support DiffServ-based QoS implementations such as Premium IP. The NORDUnet backbone does not grant traffic priority, but it does allow the transport of for example Premium IP traffic between peering partners.
NORDUnet looking glass allows you to ping and traceroute from NORDUnet routers.
NORDUnet has established a bgp blackhole community.
Prefixes marked with 2603:999 will be remarked towards our upstream providers and will therefore also be blackholed before it enters NORDUnet
The following communities are available in NORDUnet for usage by all IP transit customers. These communities can be applied on prefixes (v4 + v6) advertised towards NORDUnet.
Announcement control communities:
- 2603:664 Do not advertise to Commodity (transit)
- 2603:665 Do not advertise to Commodity and non-Nordic Peerings.
- 2603:666 Do not advertise to Commodity and Peerings.
- 2603:667 Do not advertise to non-NORDUnet-member R&E.
- 2603:174 Do not advertise to Cogent.
- 2603:999 Blackhole
- Only prefixes tagged with community 2603:999 will be blackholed.
On all NORDUnet edge routes it will discard all traffic send towards the
- Prefixes tagged will also be forwarded to upstream with upstream
blackhole community. Tinet , TeliaSonera IC.
- You can only tag your own prefixes with this community.
- You can only tag more specific / longer prefixes then what
NORDUnet filters on. This means that if your aggregate for example
consists of a /16 to NORDUnet, the maximum prefix length you can
blackhole is a /17.
(The last constraint was put in place to avoid mayhem if someone
accidentally tags their aggregate with the blackhole community)
NORDUnet network statistics provides in-depth visualized data about the NORDUnet network.
The statistics system can return reports and visualization of the data in various forms:
The use of the NORDUnet backbone network is governed by the following policies.
The nordic national research and education networks have their own IPv6 address blocks:
- NORDUnet has official IPv6 addresses, 2001:948::/32
- FUNET has official IPv6 addresses, 2001:0708::/32
- UNINETT has official IPv6 addresses, 2001:0700::/32
- SUNET has official IPv6 addresses, 2001:06B0::/32
- Forskningsnettet has official IPv6 addresses, 2001:0878::/32
- RHnet has official IPv6 addresses, 2a00:c88::/32